Pages

Thursday, March 3, 2011

Updated: Our Future Black Belts!!

It has been over 11 years in the making ever since Aqabah Karate started its first classes on a cold floor in the multi-purpose room and cafeteria of Dar-us-Salaam.

11 years ago, Aqabah Karate was a mere club focused on a single age group.

Now, we have over 120 students from 5 to 65 years with classes for male and female students!

I remember coming to Dar-us-Salaam one weekend from New Jersey, way before I even thought of moving to Maryland, and seeing Sah Bum Nim Muhib giving a speech about an open house or demo they were going to host (I believe this was back in 2004-2005). I did not know Sah Bum Nim Muhib at that time. He was just another face trying to promote an event to me. I never imagined that he would become one of my greatest friends and beloved brother in Islam. I also never imagined that I would too become one of Aqabah Karate's students years later.

Life is a beautiful journey and you never know where it will lead you and who you befriend along the way.

So remembering that day, when Aqabah Karate was announcing the start of a martial arts program, to now being part of an 11-year project with over 120 students, a full-time, state-of-the-art facility, and professional instructors, is an amazing and joyful thought.

With all the success, wal-hamdulillah, that Aqabah Karate has experienced from the start and that which I have witnessed since 2009, I must say that this upcoming event is probably the most exciting for me.

The event I am referring to is the one above, our 1st EVER BLACK BELT CLASSING. Now, for those who don't know what I am talking about, it is the grueling physical, mental, and emotional test that a Black Belt Candidate undergoes in an attempt to succeed and finally earn his/her Black Belt.

To this point, our Black Belt candidates have persevered through years of training, tests, and pressure to simply earn their right to be evaluated for their Black Belt and finally the day has come for 3 very special gentlemen.

Zakaria Korme
Arbaz Khatib
Uthman Eberle

This is a very very special event for Aqabah Karate. To see your students go from white belt through the trials and tribulations of training to preserving onto their Black Belt candidacy and now, the chance to test for their 1st Degree and be part of our first in-house Black Belt Class, is a wonderful experience.

What is even more wonderful is that two of our students, Zakaria and Arbaz, started training at the age of 5 years old. Now, after 8 years, they are grown young men testing for the Black Belt. Words can't describe what it's like for me, I can't even imagine to think how Sah Bum Nim Muhib feels since he's been there from the beginning.

It sort of feels like your child is about to graduate from college (smiling :-D) that's as best as I can describe it...hehehe!

Well, what I wanted to share with you is...

Of this two-day test, there is a portion that is open to the general public. We wish to invite all the community members to experience a live demonstration of our candidates.

The open portion of the test will be held on Sunday, May 22th, 2011 at 3:00pm insha'Allah.

We hope that many of you can attend and share this experience with the instructors as well as the candidates themselves.

It will be an amazing experience insha'Allah!!!

We hope to see everyone there...until then HAPPY KICKING!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment